21. Guest
22. Guest
23. Guest
24. Guest
25. Guest
26. Guest
27. Guest
28. Guest

Forum Index  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Edit your profile  •   Members  •   Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  •   Board Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff  •   Forum FAQ  •   Log in

Search for at
Playdium Bowling Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
BNB TOURNAMENTS RESULTS PAGE Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions Rannie 0 Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:36 pm
powerpee View latest post
2019 PHILIPPINE BOWLING FEDERATION SCHEDULES OF TOURNAMENTS Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:46 am
benny View latest post
2019 PLAYDIUM BOWLING CENTER CALENDAR Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am
benny View latest post
17TH PTBA-CROWN PIPES OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS JULY 6-14, 2019 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:15 am
benny View latest post
47TH MBA-SARIMANOK VALENTINE TENPIN BOWLING OPEN FEB 9-17 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:34 am
benny View latest post
2018 PLAYDIUM NOVEMBER MONTHLY WINNERS Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 am
benny View latest post

Who taught you how to bowl?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Playdium Bowling Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powerpee
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:09 am  Post subject: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

During the early 90's my dad was into bowling and being a sportsman myself, I decided to follow his footsteps. I was very fortunate to have been enrolled with San Juan Bowling association (SJBA) during that time. A couple of names I remember taught me (us) some basics... Luis Te, Steward Uy, Benny Dytoc amongst others...

But the one who really developed my style of play was none other than Mrs. Claudette Santiago... and I am forever grateful to her for my achievements in bowling. I remember when she was teaching me at greenlanes before, she threw a blue hammer ball (urethane) and got a 7-10 split... bow ako sa taong ito...

Keeping her cool she got another ball and threw it to the left portion of the lane. The ball went halfway out of the 1st board and when it reached the end of the lane came back, tapped the 7 pin which slided and collided with the 10 pin. Up to this day, this is only time I ever saw (wtih my own eyes) someone converted the 7-10 split.

Some people say that when I bowl they see her style in me... so to Mrs. Claudette Santiago, thanks for everything! Smile

"Never regret the choices you make, just believe in yourself & have faith. Life isn't perfect, it's a blend of joy & sorrow but wherever life leads you, its because of a purpose."

Last edited by powerpee on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
icemann

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

hmmm,,, i guess for me,, the first person to reallllly teach me how to throw the right way is the the pro-shop person who drills the ball in SM city way back in 2002,,,, so who ever you are,, tnxx a lot Smile

and after that there was (for the physical side) coach angelo and coach reggie, (and for the mental side) toto salazar and ricky de leon,,, tnxx again Smile,,, and syempre papa rannie, mama alma and papa monch for the emotional support hehe :þ

DIE Headpin DIE!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blackrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

Boss Peewee,

Sorry, actually ay off topic ito, pero have to say this.  Di ko gaano gets how the lady bowler got the 7 - 10 as you described, but it appears that the ball went into the gutter muna, then came back out ?? Kung ganoon, di yata legal yun.

I would like to comment that, sabi ni Coach Angelo, na pag ang bola ay nahulog sa gutter, nullified na ang score nun kung mag rebound at bumalik uli sa lane.  Nangyari na ito sa akin, sa 7 pin (nakuha) at sa 10 pin (namiss sa inside !!).  Parehong practice ito.  Nung una, akala ko legal.  Nung pangalawa, tinanong ko na si Coach and un nga ang sinabi niya. Coach Angelo actually made a score correction in a league recently due to this.

There are only two ways to get a 7-10 split.  You can try to hit either pin very thin on the inside and hope it will rebound off the side panel and travel all the way to the other pin. Better for a right hander to shoot the 7 and vice-versa, as you have a chance of getting the pin slightly in the back and getting the right rebound direction.  Or if you are even luckier, a flush hit wherein the pin will bounce out of the pit and hit the other remaining pin.  If either of the above happened, then it was a legal spare.

Not being sure of the actual event, this contents of this post is conditional in nature.  I remember the name Claudette Santiago from the 80's as one of the top lady bowlers at that time.  This post is not meant to take away anything from her abilities.

Have a nice day !!!

ToolTimes at work
powerpee
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

Blackrain,

ahhh i guess the way i wrote the sentence miselead you... edited it na... the ball's left half went out of the 1st board, then pagdating sa dulo dinaplisan yung 7 pin which then slided to the 10th pin.. Smile

Legal na legal Smile

Claudette hails from the United States (Virgin islands) where she also used to bowl. Magaling na yan dati pa... she got married here to Mr. Santiago (Pocketbell) and started to teach bowling here more than 15 years ago...

alam ko she teaches at another bowling center, mga kids... she's really good and friendly...

Sa bowling naman kasi mahirap pag marami kang mentors. All 'coaches' means well and gusto nila mag edevelop game ng student nila... the thing is each has his/her own style of teaching kaya better (IMHO) to stick with 1 instructor. You can ask others for advise on certain accounts pero if you have 1 instructor mas hindi nakakalito... Smile

"Never regret the choices you make, just believe in yourself & have faith. Life isn't perfect, it's a blend of joy & sorrow but wherever life leads you, its because of a purpose."
blackrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

Boss Peewee,

Oo nga, got confused with the details.  Anyway, like I said, conditional nga ang post.

About too many coaches, I agree completely.  Gaya ng sabi nila, too many cooks spoil the broth.  I know of one bowler who has four coaches, including Coach Angelo.  Results wise, OK naman ang scoring niya, kaya lang ang sagwa ng porma.  Coach Angelo tried to improve on the bad form but it just keeps coming back due to other coaches (in other bowling centers).

Secondly, the capacity toaccept instructions/coaching is best when you know nothing about bowling.  This means the pure beginner is the best stage to be taught the basics.  Nothing is more difficult than to change a habit that has been acquired over months/years of bowling.  Sometime ago, I had my game looked over by someone (hindi si Angelo).  Isa lang ang pinalitan niya. Pinababaan ang starting stance ko para daw less ang backswing to lower ball speed.  Too fast daw kasi, di makareact ng husto ang bola.  The result ?  Everything went haywire and my average went down from 160-170 to 140-150.  Subsequently I went one step short of sacrificing a chicken in the process of exorcising the demons from my game.  Finally di talaga pwede, kaya binalik ko na lang sa dati ang starting stance and returned my backswing to just above horizontal.  OK na uli ang laro ko, but needs a lot of work pa.

Finally, I like it best if the instructor will just try to enhance one's delivery style without imposing too many changes.  Ganun ang gingawa ni Coach Angelo. Of course this only works if there are a few flaws in one's technique.  Kung major surgery ang kailangan, you could be in for a difficult time with any coach.
powerpee
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:30 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

Blackrain,

well said... and I agree with you completely. Kanya kanyang hiyang yan when it comes to having a coach... when i first started to bowl no bad habits kaya Mrs. Claudette was able to help me develop my game... and during that time I had a potential to be a really really good bowler...

stopped playing for awhile when I went to college (once a week na lang) and my form and delivery went haywire as well...

kaya ngayon... haywire pa din hee hee... but of course I do remember what Claudette has taught me and would give myself another chance to be taught b y her again...

journe300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:25 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

Had 2 sessions with coach norman then mental boss powerpee, of course don't forget my idol boss angel gave me some finishing touches. Without these people especially the last 2 maybe i'm still into marbles.    

Its' not the qty. that you have but the quality in your hand.  
powerpee
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:31 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

kaya pala madalas tayong dalawa nakikita sa mental hee hee...

berthow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

ako syempre si boss peewee ang coach ko.....kaso medyo d marunong magturo yan eh, kaya  back to back quarterfinals pa lang nanalo ko hahahahahaha......maraming salamat syo coach peewee.....galing mo.........
Angelo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:17 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

eto ang nagturo sa akin ng bowling in order ha:

1. tatay ko ang unang nagturo

eto na yung rest

2. helen duval(us coach)
3. PJB coaches odi dimaano, jim fernandez, Cong. Peping Cojuangco at Toti Lopa who gave me a World Title.
4. RP Coaches Goran from Sweden, John Losito from US, Rene Reyes and of course Johnson Cheng who gave me medals in asia.
5. ngayon computer na lang ang coach ko hahahaha kasi my computer never lied to me...Smile

powerpee
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:55 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

Berthow,

nyak! hee hee... langya buti ka pa nakadali ka na ng 2 malalaking trophies... ako ang meron ko lang eh mga anak nyan huhuhu...

gEnOs@iD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:11 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

i think i learned bowling in this order:

1. Bowling Clinic, 1996: Caloy de Leon w/ Orly Gan - dito nag umpisa ang youth ng GMTBC...
2. Personal Coaching by Coach Pete Ayala. - novice to intermediate bowling skills pa lang ang naituro sa akin dito. Maliit pa ang liko ng bola ko.
   2.1. GMTBC Coaches: Boy Florencio - Tamang gabay lang sila. Tinitignan kung kinakabig yung kamay...
3. Youth Pool Coaches: Coach Johnson Cheng, Bonnie Solis, Orlie Gan - ok lang...wala masyadong natutunan except for the "less is more" principle... Ball Speed (Pearl BC): 32 KPH
4. My dad - sa tatay ko yata umangat yung laro ko. Dito ko lang unang nalaman na kusa palang lumiliko ang bola, at kusa itong nagtatrabaho para sayo. Dito ko rin unang binagalan ang approach ko. First time ko din ditong gumamit ng 1st arrow. At first time ko ring naintindihan na ang ibig sabihin ng tunay na practice ay ang tamang release at hindi ang mataas na score.
5. KEGEL: Purvis Granger - i still want to learn more. Sa tingin ko wala pang 50% ang nalalaman ko sa bowling kahit na isang dekada na akong naglalaro. kaya eto...nag-aaral ulit...

"Conquer the lanes. Do not let the lanes conquer you. For best results, conquer the lane with your ball." --> Words of the gEnOs@iD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jorge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

gEn0s@iD

I would like to comment that the ball speed of 32 kph that you mentioned for Pearl Bowling Center, or for any center for that matter seems a bit fast.  At that speed, your ball will travel the sixty feet from the foul line to the head pin in around 2.04 seconds.  That is FAST for a hook ball.  Probably it is OK for a straight ball, or Rico Mejica's ball delivery, which is one of the fastest I have seen.

I once had a fetish for measuring ball speeds of bowlers, including my own.  Coach Angelo's ball speed is around 2.4 seconds.  My own is about the same.  Unfortunately, I never timed Rico's ball, but it is probably in the range of 2 seconds.  It does splatter the pins and has a unique sound (I can tell it is his ball that hit the pins by the sound of it) when it hits, but most class O bowlers have lower ball speeds.

Anyway, I will agree with you that excessively fast ball speeds usually get you nowhere and result in less accuracy in hitting the target arrow.  It works with Rico but not with most of us.

Jaws
gEnOs@iD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

I totally agree. I was going around 32 kph nung "straight-hook" bowler pa lang ako. It was before year 2000. Wala naman akong gaanong problema sa accuracy, that is kung sa target ang tinutukoy mo. Kasi, yung solid pocket accuracy ko ang nagsa-suffer noon. Minsan hindi liliko, minsan flat ball. Then my dad forced me to go slower. I noticed an increase in my accuracy and hook as well. I think I was able to cut it down to 28-30 kph.

This past year, I was working on making my ball speed slower (or should I say, achieving the "optimum" ball speed, 17 mph). Hindi pa rin maiwasang bumilis sya (ball speed) ng konti from time to time, lalo na kapag nagdidikit dikit na yung strikes. Basta I just keep on practicing my slow paced approach. Hopefully, I'll improve this year.

"Conquer the lanes. Do not let the lanes conquer you. For best results, conquer the lane with your ball." --> Words of the gEnOs@iD
Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:50 am  Post subject: Re: Who taught you how to bowl? Reply with quote

DO YOU AGREE HERE?

di lahat ng magaling magbowling ay magaling coach or the other way naman marami ring magaling mag coach kahit di magaling magbowling....

one of my first coach is doc odi dimaano... we have three coaches at that time when i was in youth... jim fernandez was the main coach...i never saw doc odi bowl for a game but the way he teaches is better and more advance at that time... he taught me how to tackle pressure in tough games and yeah i rolled my first perfect game at 17, take note, wala pang reactive at that time.  Coaches are like our barbers and hairdressers...hiyang hiyang din yan...

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Playdium Bowling Forum Index ->  General All times are UTC - 5 Hours [DST enabled]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: