14. Guest
15. Guest
16. Guest
17. Guest
18. Guest
19. Guest
20. Guest
21. Guest

Forum Index  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Edit your profile  •   Members  •   Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  •   Board Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff  •   Forum FAQ  •   Log in

Search for at
Playdium Bowling Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
BNB TOURNAMENTS RESULTS PAGE Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions Rannie 0 Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:36 pm
powerpee View latest post
2019 PHILIPPINE BOWLING FEDERATION SCHEDULES OF TOURNAMENTS Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:46 am
benny View latest post
2019 PLAYDIUM BOWLING CENTER CALENDAR Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am
benny View latest post
2019 PSB OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS SEPT. 14-23, 2019 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:30 am
benny View latest post
17TH PTBA-CROWN PIPES OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS JULY 6-14, 2019 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:15 am
benny View latest post
47TH MBA-SARIMANOK VALENTINE TENPIN BOWLING OPEN FEB 9-17 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:34 am
benny View latest post

Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Playdium Bowling Forum Index -> Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:09 pm  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

There are so many balls in the market stating that the ball is good for ex. heavy oil, medium-heavy oil or medium-light oil. Question : Please give some pointers on how to read the lanes using this type of balls that would react on the specific lane condition
Thanks

[ This message was edited by: levi on 2005-07-27 06:10 ]
dabesbowlerindapilipins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:44 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

reading the lanes is a very lengthy topic. my best suggestion is for you to have sessions with a certified coach/instructor and learn the basics. there is a system for strikes and spares. at playdium, angelo can teach you in finding your strikelines and how to adjust in order to be in the pocket always.
blackcloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:06 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

you can go to bowlingballreviews.com or ballreviews.com to read what some of the bowlers say about a specific ball you might be interested in. have your ball driller take a look at how you throw the ball as well so he can make suggestions.
Pseudomonas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:05 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

in my limeted experience since im just a beginner.... i think u should start with a less agressive ball... its easier to adjust and its much cheaper, from there u can add depending on what u need....
bowlgeek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:45 pm  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

Actually, I feel that most any reactive ball can help read the lanes. Polyesters skid on the dryest lanes so it isn´t quite as telling. Albeit, you´ll need both the talent and skill to actually interpret the "reading". That elusive "coach´s eye" is just too rare.

You´ll need only ONE ball to do all the "reading" for you to see the different reactions.

Assuming that you are familiar with your own game as well as your ball. Its really quite elementary. Caution though that this is a personal technique and not the "from the pros".

Throw shots at 2-3 board increments from board 3 to the middle arrow. Don´t swing the ball, just straight ahead. Watch for the change in ball motion which tells you you´ve left the oil and into the dry. You can draw out the "oil pattern for your game". With this, you can choose your plan of attack. This is quite useful since its YOUR ball and YOUR game, not very technical oiling charts.

All this being said, most of the time, we usually just need to find a strike line that carries best without actually plotting out the oil pattern.

Oh. Apologies for the long post. Hope this helps.

Twas better to have bowled and lost than to have never bowled at all...
Pseudomonas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:12 pm  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

levi, in general try to look at the specification of the ball you will note that theres a rg and differential... high rg >2.5 are usually use for drier lanes and low rg <2.5 are use for oily lanes. and high differentials >.045 are usually use for oily lanes and low differentials <.035 are for drier lanes....
so if u have a dry lane condition then u should choose a ball with a high rg and low differential vice versa for oily lanes...of course the drilling pattern or layout will also matter.....
if u choose a low rg high differential ball and swing it over the 2nd arrow and it miss the pocket to the left most probably the lanes are dry and u should change to a higher rg lower differential ball.....
im not a certified coach just a general idea for u from a amateur bowlers point of view....
dabesbowlerindapilipins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:48 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

psuedomonas,

on a dry lane, you can still use a low rg, hi differential ball. also, on a oily lane, you can use mid-rg, mid diff balls. i think you cannot determine fully the reaction of the ball based on the rg/diff combo. sorry to say that your advice with the rg/diff is not good.
Pseudomonas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:59 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

dabesbowlerindapilipins,
u are right! u can even use a low diff ball on an oily lane....
would u use a high diff ball on a dry lane? maybe u would but i dont think that would be a smart play. u may even use a plastic ball if u like, but IN GENERAL overview dont u think its right that high diff balls are recommended for oily lanes? and low diff balls best played on dry lanes?
big block diesel is a low rg high diff ball, would u use it on a toasted lane over a high rg low diff like ebonite ice?
maybe u would use big block on a dry lane but i think u should stand at the 40th boards with ur target at the 1st arrow! heehhe open up the lane babe!
Pseudomonas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:01 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

levi,
are we confusing u?? hehe i guess u should just look for angelo at playdium and everything would be ok for u
dabesbowlerindapilipins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:14 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

pseudomonas,

i can play as deep as the 5th arrow so i can manage to play a dry lane with a "high diff" ball. i can also play the oily lanes with a "low diff" ball. what´s important is you find the proper strike line.... whether it be point shot, straight up or swing out.

it is not enough to know the rg/diff of the ball. you have to see it react. for example, ebonite v2 is high differential in 14 and 15 lbs but when you see it in action, it doesn´t move much. another example of a high differential would be the rotogrip sd73. some of the sd73s dont move as expected. you will not be able to determine the true nature of the ball unless you a) see the ball used by other people or b) drill one.

i dont have a big block diesel so i wouldn´t know if i can really use it on a "toasted" lane. but i do know that if you stand 40 and shoot 1st arrow, you´d be throwing gutter balls all day.
blackcloud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:22 pm  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

don´t even think of using the big block diesel on toasted lane conditions
Pseudomonas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:41 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

im talking about generality and dabesbowl is talking exceptions...
irest my case....
blackcloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:01 am  Post subject: Using the the right ball on the specific lane condition Reply with quote

ballreviews.com and bowlingballreviews.com to look at balls you might be interested in, evaluations from other bowlers on a particular ball and other pertinent info.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Playdium Bowling Forum Index ->  Technical All times are UTC - 5 Hours [DST enabled]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: