13. Guest
14. Guest
15. Guest
16. Guest
17. Guest
18. Guest
19. Guest
20. Guest

Forum Index  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Edit your profile  •   Members  •   Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  •   Board Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff  •   Forum FAQ  •   Log in

Search for at
Playdium Bowling Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
BNB TOURNAMENTS RESULTS PAGE Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions Rannie 0 Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:36 pm
powerpee View latest post
15TH PTBA-CROWN PIPES OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP JULY1-9, 2017 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am
benny View latest post
2ND PBF YOUTH QUARTERLY CHAMPIONSHIPS JUNE 25, 2017 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 am
benny View latest post
37TH PBA OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS JUNE 10-18, 2017 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:17 am
benny View latest post
15TH ATBA OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP MAY 20-28, 2017 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 am
benny View latest post
2017 PHILIPPINE INTERNATIONAL OPEN MAY 13-28, 2017 Tournaments / Leagues / Competitions benny 0 Tue May 23, 2017 1:11 am
benny View latest post

TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANSWER
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Playdium Bowling Forum Index -> ASK THE COACH!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 pm  Post subject: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANSWER Reply with quote

I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE TO YOU A NEW THREAD THAT CAN REALLY HELP THE BOWLERS IMPROVE THEIR GAMES VIA QUESTION & ANSWER SYSTEM!

EVERY WEEK, WE WILL POST QUESTION & ANSWERS ARTICLES WHICH MIGHT HELP TO BOWLERS TO IMPROVE THEIR GAMES OR DISCOVER THE ANSWERS TO THEIR QUESTIONING MINDS!

ENJOY!!!!

Last edited by benny on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
benny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:56 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE (QUESTION & AN Reply with quote

QUESTION & ANSWER PROGRAM!

Q. Why do I lose my balance while I am releasing my bowling ball?

A. Most bowlers lose balance during their release because of three key reasons: hurried footwork (particularly the final two steps of the approach), because of poor posture with the upper body when sliding into the foul line, and because of improper use of the balance leg.

Try and avoid a hurried pace of walking to the foul line with a rapidly accelerated final two steps. Your sliding bowling shoe on your final step should slide toward the center of your torso for good balance while you are releasing the bowling ball.

Try and maintain good posture from the set-up positioning on the approach and throughout your walk to the foul line. Keep your head as motionless as possible and avoid sudden tilting movement with your bowling shoulder. Your head and shoulders should be directly above your sliding knee during the final sliding step and not be leaning in front of your sliding knee or be pulling back and away from your knee to avoid a loss of balance during the critical release of your bowling ball.

Your balance leg, or trailing leg, should sweep smoothly to the opposite side of your body from your bowling arm. The bowling shoe on your balance leg should remain in contact with the approach floor while sweeping away from the arm swing path. By keeping the balance leg shoe in contact with the approach floor, your upper body position will remain stable as your swing enters the release zone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TheBigBang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 am  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Hello Idol Benny! Do you entertain questions from avid readers of your articles?  Anyway I'm new to bowling (a little over a year).  When I started around June last year I bowled almost everyday but nowadays I practice twice a week (5 games for each day).  I wanted to know if 200++ average bowlers (like you Cool ) expericence this "slump" after a big bowling streak wherein for a little over month I would bowl as if no one can beat me (strings of 200++ 5-game averages, highest average being 251.4, no game under 200 and the highest score being 279 ToolTimes at work ) then suddenly I go back to newbie reality (strings of 140-160++ 5-game averages) for more than a month Mad .  It's an occacional occurence and it's very discouraging since I lingered a little longer in the slump than the in streak.  Is that the law of averages at work? What do I need to do or what should I not do to maintain only that big bowling streak (if possible)?
benny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:31 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Hi TheBigBang, thanks for your inquiry, i will try to answer you question.

Please consider consulting an experienced coach who would be able to help you identify and evaluate your present physical game skills and then find areas to improve upon so you get on the path to greater consistency.

Judging from your scores, the extreme range in productivity stems from a "strike or nothing" phenomenon" where you either get your ball to react every time and blast the pocket and get strings of strikes or lose the pocket entirely and do not achieve many strikes. Compound this with missing fairly routine spares and the result is poor scoring.

I would say that in addition to learning more about how to sharpen your physical game skills, you may wish to develop an improved system of making lane adjustments for times when the oil pattern breaks down and carry down occurs. Making lane adjustments is as big of a part of the game as anything once you develop a good physical game.

Becoming a high average player and maintaining that lofty standard requires work, knowledge of the game, and practice. It all begins with working with a good coach in your area and building a system for success.

You obviously have very good athletic skills already and have the ability to string strikes, so why not go to work on tightening the "nuts and bolts" of your physical game and then develop systems for lane adjustments and for converting spares. Success is in the details.

Maybe this can help you improve your game.

Methods For Making Spares

Spares are an important part of your game whether you are male or female, whether you are a 120 or 200 average bowler. There is nothing worse than having 8 strikes in a game 4 opens and shooting 170. If you make all your spares in a game you will still shoot 180 or 190. That's much better than 160.

There are two basic spare shooting techniques that I use in the clinics that I give. The first is the 3-6-9 rule. You simply use your strike target and move your feet 3 boards to the right for where you are standing for the 2 pin, 6 boards to the right for a 4 pin and 9 boards to the right for a 7 pin. (Use the reverse for a left-handed bowler) Use your strike target to shoot at the spare. Also, watch what your ball does. If it misses to the right you may not have to move as much. The lane will tell you how to move. This is also just a guideline to get you lined up properly.

The other option which I myself use it to throw a plastic ball at your spares. (I do not use this for double wood spares) Using a plastic ball takes the lane out of play. The ball should not hook at all or very little. This allows you to line up straight to your spare and throw right at it. A standard line is standing on 35 and looking between the 3rd and 4th arrow for the 10 pin. And standing on 10 looking between the 3rd and 4th arrow for the 7 pin. (Once again use the reverse for a left-handed bowler) This option is good for someone who cannot throw the ball very hard at their spares and finds that the ball has a habit of hooking.

These are two common practices for spare shooting. I think they will definitely improve your average and make the game more enjoyable. Good Luck and good bowling.

How to Make Adjustments on the Lanes

If you are trying to learn how to make adjustments on the lanes, then kindly consider the following keys to guide you in hitting the pocket consistently:

1. Ball Change
2. Angle Change
3. Release Change
4. Speed Change

After your initial alignment, learning how to make adjustments on the lanes so you are able to consistently hit the pocket will help you improve your bowling scores. The lane oiling conditions are always the essential element in determining how to line up initially. Since lane conditions can vary from extremely dry conditions to very oily conditions or somewhere between and can vary during any given session on the lanes, making adjustments while you are bowling are necessary if you wish to bowl effectively and achieve good scores.

Making a ball change to match the lanes conditions is probably your first best consideration. If you have more than one bowling ball ready to use, then please do not fear making a ball change to adapt to the lane conditions. As example, if the lanes are very oily and your ball slides too far, switch to a ball which has a solid coverstock and a low RG and matte finish as to adhere to the lane surface thereby creating high surface friction to fight the excessive oil. If the lanes, as example, are fairly dry and your ball rolls too soon or hooks sooner than you wish, then switch to a ball with a pearl or stiff coverstock and a high RG which will slide easily down the lane and conserve energy until reaching the back end of the lane. Choosing a ball with the best matching RG and flare potential rating are also important factors when making ball changes.

Once you feel you have the best of your available bowling balls in hand, then making adjustments by changing your angle to the pocket is the next best consideration. Generally speaking, if your ball does not roll or hook soon enough and slides too far missing the pocket to the right (right handed bowlers - opposite for left handers), then adjust the positioning of your feet on the approach and your target on the lane to the right. A good technique is to move your feet two boards on the lane and your target with your eyes one board to the right, a 2:1 ratio, so you automatically make an angle change to increase your chances of hitting the pocket. Be sure to move both your feet and your target on the lane together and in the same direction. There are always exceptions to the rule of thumb, but this angle change technique is effective and very useful for nearly all lane conditions.

Of course, the opposite is true for dry lanes. Move your feet two boards from your initial alignment positioning on the approach to the left (right handed bowlers) and your eyes one board left. This adjustment will increase your angle away from the pocket to compensate for the early hook you have encountered which has required the angle change. Don't be afraid to make multiple adjustments in 2:1 ratios with your feet and eyes at the target area until you achieve a desired result.

Making a release change or a speed change are the trickiest of any adjustments. Making a release change requires precise and acute hand action at the moment of release in an attempt to change the tilt of the rotating ball axis to enhance a bowling ball hooking motion or to decrease hooking motion depending on the lane oil conditions. Your release action can either increase ball hook or decrease ball hook depending on technique.

A quick and increased finger rotation at the moment of release will typically increase the sharpness of the bowling ball hooking motion. A slow release action with less finger rotation will usually result in a less sharp bowling ball hooking motion. If you are not versed in making release changes, then it is probably a good idea to focus on a ball change or an angle change until you receiving proper coaching for release changes.

Speed control is essential to bowling well. Not only is using the optimum ball speed vital in getting consistent results hitting the pocket, regulating your speed each delivery is also very important. Using more ball speed than the norm, perhaps two mph more, will generally produce less bowling ball hooking motion and matches best to dry lane conditions. For oily conditions, using less ball speed, perhaps two mph less speed, will prevent the ball from sliding too far on the back end of the lane before rolling effectively to the pocket.

Unless you are versed on changing ball speeds effectively and making the necessary physical game corrections to adjust to lane conditions, then it is advised to use your best speed range which allows you to control your speed consistently and rely on making a ball change or an angle change adjustment in an effort to hit the pocket with greater consistency.

I hope these tips help you learn how to make adjustments on the lanes.

I hope I enlighten you with my best possible answers.
benny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

HI FELLOW BOWLERS!!!! SORRY, I WAS AWAY FOR A WHILE DUE TO HANDLING A MAJOR NATIONAL TOURNAMENT IN THE BOWLING CENTER. ANYWAYS, IM BACK!!!! WITH THE QUESTION & ANSWER PROBLEM. LET US CONTINUE!!!!!!

Q. Why do I miss my spot on the lane to the left so often?

A. Truth be told, most right handed bowlers (opposite for left handed bowlers), being right eye dominant, will miss their target at the bowling arrows about 15 feet down the lane to the inside, or the left of where they site, perhaps one or two boards. This is not an uncommon tendency.

Most misses to the left of target occur, however, from improper alignment, either initial alignment when setting up on the approach, alignment when sliding into the foul line caused from excessive and unplanned drifting off of the intended walking lines, or both.

For bowlers with a modest hook release, the instep of the sliding bowling shoe should cover a board to the left of the target board down the lane by perhaps 9 or 10 boards left of the target (right handed bowlers) if sighting near the common target of the 2nd arrow. The further angle of delivery is to the left on the approach and at the target, the greater the release angle to the target on the lane must occur. The more direct and up-the-boards you play, the fewer boards difference from the sliding shoe and the target on the lane are needed to be successful in hitting the pocket consistently.

We recommend having a qualified instructor help double check your alignment, your walking lines to the foul line, and your selection of target on the lane so you develop a good formula for alignment, adjustments, and improving your accuracy.
benny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. What is the best speed to deliver my bowling ball for strikes?

A. The ideal bowling ball speed is about 17 miles per hour (mph) or 2.41 seconds measured at impact with the pins and about 21 mph or 1.95 seconds when the ball is released onto the lane, plus or minus one m.p.h tolerance.

If we use the Bowlers as examples of ball speed measurements, we find that bowlers delivering a ball less than 16 mph at impact with the pins are not as effective in pin carry and in generating consistent ball motion as those who deliver the ball at 17-19 mph at impact with the pins.

Most Bowlers will release the ball anywhere from 20-22 mph at the release point and will impact the pins at 17 or 18 mph. This speed range is the same range the bowling ball manufacturers use when testing new bowling balls so it makes sense to be compatible with the pros and the manufacturers when delivering your bowling ball for the best results.

Typically, a bowling ball takes about 2.5 seconds elapsed time, plus or minus 0.15 seconds, to contact the pins at an instantaneous velocity of 16.5 mph. It should be pointed out, however, that elapsed travel time varies in accordance with three common factors, lane oil conditions, bowling ball coverstock surface texture, and the amount a bowling ball hooks as it travels down the lane.

These three factors will vary the average velocity somewhat and should be considered when working to regulate your ball speed. Keeping a constant speed during your sessions on the lanes will help you improve your shot-making skills and to know when an alignment adjustment is needed.
benny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:07 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. What does the term RG I hear so frequently refer to and mean?

A. The United States Bowling Congress defines the RG (Radius of Gyration) of a bowling ball as a measurement in inches and is the distance from the axis of rotation at which the total mass of a body might be concentrated without changing its moment of inertia. RG as a measurement by some manufacturers in a range from 2.460" to 2.800", but some companies have converted them to a 1-10 scale to help give the consumer a better frame of reference. The These numbers describe the distribution of mass in the given bowling ball and RG is an account of the location of that mass inside the given bowling ball.

High RG numbers indicate that the ball's mass is distributed more towards the cover (cover heavy) which promotes length through the heads of the bowling lane. Low RG numbers indicate that the balls mass is distributed more towards the center (center heavy) which promotes an earlier roll through the front part of the lane. Medium RG describes sufficient bowling ball skid length to reach the mid-lane before transitioning into the hook phase of overall motion.

Placing RG range measurements into three relative numerical in our bowling ball specifications articles are as follows:

Low RG: 2.460" - 2.570"

Med. RG: 2.570" - 2.680"

High RG: 2.680" - 2.800"
benny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. Which is most important, a bowling ball coverstock or a drilling layout?

A. The coverstock of any bowling ball is the key factor in determining ball symmetry, the friction factor generated when in contact with the lane surface, and the shape of the overall ball motion. Next would be the core design which is key in determining the length and hook potential ratings in a given bowling ball. The drilling layout changes the degree of symmetry once holes are drilled into a ball and will either increase or decrease track flare potential depending on the given layout. Track flare influences the ball motion on the back end of the lane. When selecting your next new bowling ball, your first consideration should be the type of coverstock to match best with the lane conditions where you compete. The leading bowling ball manufacturers provide a variety of coverstock options ranging from polyester, to regular urethane, to reactive resin classifications such as pearl reactive, solid reactive, and hybrid reactive, to particle coverstock choices.
benny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:58 am  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. What are the primary differences between Symmetrical and Asymmetrical bowling balls?

A. Let's examine the primary differences in core designs. A Symmetrical Core (undrilled) in a given bowling ball is where the RG (radius of gyration) values of the Y (high RG) and Z (intermediate RG) axes of the ball do not differ by more than 5% of the total differential of the ball.

An Asymmetrical Core (undrilled) in a given bowling ball is where the RG (radius of gyration) values of the Y (high RG) and Z (intermediate RG) axes of the ball differ by more than 5% of the total differential of the ball.

Symmetrical drilled balls yield small differential ratios. Small differential ratios will produce a smooth, controllable motion when compared to an asymmetrical ball.

Asymmetrical drilled balls show a defined, angular motion. These balls can create more area at the break point and will respond to friction faster at the break point than symmetrical balls.

It has been proven through United States Bowling Association (USBC) field studies that all drilled bowling balls are asymmetrical, whether they are symmetrical or asymmetrical before drilling.

The term differential in a bowling ball can be defined as the difference between the maximum and minimum Radius of Gyration. Radius of gyration, RG, is measured in inches and is the distance from the axis of rotation at which the total mass of a body might be concentrated without changing its moment of inertia.

Total Differential is the difference between the X (low RG) and Y (high RG) axes values of any bowling ball. Intermediate Differential is the difference in radius of gyration between the Y (high RG) and Z (intermediate RG) axes on the bowling ball.

The differential of RG measurement indicates the bowling ball's track flare potential. The higher the number the greater the track flare potential.

A key to ball motion is intermediate differential which is the measure of a bowling ball’s degree of asymmetry. Differential ratio is simply defined as the intermediate differential divided by the total differential.

The larger the differential ratio, the more asymmetrical the bowling ball. Conversely, the smaller the differential ratio, the less asymmetrical the ball.
benny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 am  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. Which are the most effective ranges of grit pads to use when altering bowling ball surfaces?

A. Using grit pads ranging from a low of 500 to a high grit of 4000 is the standard manufacturers will use in preparing the factory finish you get in an out-of-the-box bowling ball. The lower the grit, the more texture is applied to the ball surface which increases traction and friction when the ball is in contact with the lane. Higher grit pad produce a fine texture surface on a given bowling ball and creates less traction on the lane surface.

Solid reactive bowling balls use lower grit to medium grit pads, 500-100-1500 grit, in preparing the surface of a ball to create sufficient traction for use on medium to heavy oil conditions. Pearl reactive coverstocks are intended for use in medium to dry lane conditions by using 1500-200-4000 grit pads which provide sufficient skid length on the high friction lane surface.

Layering the grit pads such as 500-1000-1500 will produce sufficient surface friction for heavier oil conditions providing so the given ball will not slide too far and react after the mid-lane. Same holds true in the case of drier lane conditions where a layered grit preparation such as 1500-2000-4000 provides enough skid length so the ball won't react before the mid-lane.
benny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:23 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. How can I prevent turning my bowling ball too early?

A. There are several keys to monitor regarding your swing and bowling ball delivery. Here are a few tips which might help do the trick:

1. Making sure you keep the inside bone of your bowling elbow tucked closely toward your torso during your forward swing. This will help you from turning your whole arm as well as rotating your fingers while releasing the bowling ball.

2. Focusing on keeping your elbow and the palm of your bowling hand behind the ball on the forward swing and into the release zone enhances your chances at making an effective delivery.

3. Swing your bowling arm closely to your body and underneath your bowling shoulder and arm-pit area of your torso. A proper swing path enables you to stay behind the ball and not rotate your bowling fingers early.

4. Prevent over-rotating your bowling fingers in an attempt to make the ball hook a great deal. An overturning motion causes the elbow to rotate around and outside the bowling ball and results in a poor delivery.

5. Through practice and repetition, train yourself to remain in position behind the ball until your hand reaches the release zone, your thumb exits the ball, and your fingers rotate the ball slightly, perhaps only two or three inches of rotation. Your swing should continue upward toward a full follow-through position for an effective delivery.

6. To regulate a consistent release motion, begin with the proper finger gripping pressure on the bowling ball. Avoid squeezing the bowling ball so hard with your fingers and thumb as to prohibit the quick and consistent release of the ball. The majority of gripping pressure should be with the pads of your bowling fingers with very little pressure on the pad of your thumb.
benny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. I have recently purchased a new pair of bowling shoes and I would like to know what is the best way to break them in?

A. There are several things you can be made aware of which will help you break in your new bowling shoes. Here are a few tips:

1. wear your shoes around the inside of your home and walk in them to break in any stiffness in the uppers portion of both shoes. Try and determine which type of socks fit the shoes most comfortably so your shoes do not feel too tight. Loose shoes may cause your feet to "hydroplane" when trying to develop consistent footwork on the approaches.

2. take several practice slides on the various areas of the approach near the foul line. Practice slides near the center of the approach where you typically slide for a strike ball delivery and near the edges of the approach where you slide to pick up corner pin spares will prevent unwanted sliding surprises during competition.

3. warm up slowly to ensure your initial practice approaches are at a slow footwork speed with your bowling ball releases are at a slow speed. Try not to release your ball at full speed if your shoes have not been tested for a smooth and even sliding process on the approaches.

4. avoid excessive journeys to the concourse area of the bowling center but rather remain in the bowling settee area until you are confident you can slide consistently for a game or two of bowling without any incidents. We recommend wearing shoe protectors which slip over the shoes when walking about the bowling center. Shoe protectors keep gum, food, liquid, or dirt off of the bottom of your bowling shoes.

5. If you cannot slide smoothly after making a few practice slides with your new shoes before you try releasing your bowling ball, then use a very small bit of sliding powder substance. Pat a tiny bit of powder on the heel of your sliding shoe and on the sole of the sliding shoe, make a couple of test slides before walking briskly to the foul line and attempting a full slide. Make sure you have added just enough slide powder substance to help you achieve a proper slide but kindly avoid getting powder to fall onto the settee floor or onto the approach as to adversely effect the slide capabilities of other bowlers.

6. you may have to apply additional pats of powder on the bottom of your shoes if after bowling awhile your new shoes continue to stick on the approach surface. Use good judgment in applying shoe slide powder and you will develop good habits and slide techniques for the future.

7. be aware that some bowling shoes are available with interchangeable slide heels and soles. These shoe models provide various heels for gripping the approach and various sliding soles to adjust to the friction factors of various approaches.

Humidity changes can affect sliding on approaches. Approach finishes can wear away on the edges of wooden approaches making sliding smoothly very difficult. Synthetic approaches can be sticky in some areas near the foul line and slick on other areas. Caution should be taken to check out the sliding areas before bowling.
benny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. What are some tips to set-up on the approach properly? I am just learning the game and seem to get started inconsistently.

A. Make sure you set your spine angle with perhaps a ten degree forward tilt and with your shoulders fairly level when positioning yourself on the approach. Avoid setting your bowling shoulder too low in comparison to your basic set-up. Dropping the shoulder more than perhaps an inch or two maximum can cause a variation in your desired swing path.

Maintain a normal amount of knee flex in your set-up and make certain your weight is distributed over your bowling shoes fairly evenly with perhaps a bit more weight on the foot you do not use to take your first step. Also, you may wish to allow perhaps one board of space between your bowling shoes to insure stability in your set-up and to make sure your first step begins smoothly while maintaining balance. Your set-up should be a very athletic posture so you can maintain good balance as you move smoothly to the foul line.
benny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. I am a person who has never bowled before and wish to learn how I can get started?

A. The first thing we recommend to get properly started in the game is to do the following:

a. Find a local or nearby certified bowling instructor or a bowling professional to schedule you for a lesson or for a series of personalized lessons so you can learn the important fundamentals of the physical game and also learn bowling etiquette and on-lane courtesies.

b. Once you determine who you coach will be, schedule the lessons and be ready to invest in a new bowling ball and bowling shoes. If you choose to use a house ball at the local bowling center, at the very least purchase your own bowling shoes so you get a consistent slide each time you bowl as well as comfort and stability. Avoid renting bowling shoes whenever possible. You will actually pay for your own shoes over time by no longer having to rent shoes each time you visit the bowling center.

c. Make sure you leave your coaching session with prepared notes recapping the key fundamentals of the physical game which you learned during the lesson. Often, the coach will provide you a recap of the key training points covered during the session. If not, make you own notes. Build a practice outline so you are sure to work on all the key fundamentals of the game covered during the lesson. For each lesson you take, try and practice at least twice per week so you do not forget what you learn and so you develop a good feel and mental pictures relating to the components of the physical game.

Trying to learn the game without guidance from an experienced instructor only prolongs the time to learn correctly and can be a frustrating process. Often, taking a lesson will cost you less than the cost of a new bowling ball. It is a relatively inexpensive way to learn the game.
benny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm  Post subject: Re: TIPS FOR BOWLERS WHO WANTS TO IMPROVE QUESTION & ANS Reply with quote

Q. I have recently completed a series of lessons and am learning the game. I really enjoy bowling. My coach has suggested I buy myself a new ball to make sure I get a properly fitting ball. Any suggestions on which ball I should choose?

A. All the leading brands provide quality equipment and are worth purchasing. The important thing here are to make a decision whether you want to purchase a plastic ball or an entry level urethane or reactive resin ball as your initial selection. The plastic coverstock will give you minimum traction on the lane surface and has the least amount of hook potential compared to all other types of coverstocks. Experienced players generally choose plastic balls for spare shooting since the amount of hook is reduced and the ball is easy to control or for use on very dry lanes where the ball is prone to hook uncontrollably.

Regular urethane coverstock balls are the next level up in gaining hook potential. Urethane balls create more surface friction and will hook slightly more than plastic coverstocks but also will provide a predictable ball reaction.

Reactive resin balls will create greater surface friction and will grip the lane and hook more than plastic or urethane coverstock bowling balls. The risk is losing some control when the ball hooks when shooting spares until you become proficient at spare shooting techniques. If you are not planning on investing in multiple bowling balls right away, then purchase either a regular urethane coverstock or a mild reactive coverstock ball depending on your overall budget. We certainly recommend you consult with your coach as to how to have the ball drilled (fingertip grip or conventional grip) depending on your progress in the game. Your pro shop professional can help you with determining the drilling layout.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Playdium Bowling Forum Index ->  ASK THE COACH! All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: